Glenn E. Coe
860-549-1000 Ext. 406 (Main Line)
Areas of Practice
- Large and Catastrophic Loss Cases (Including Excess Liability cases)
- Defense in Taiwan District and Taiwan High Courts against claim in excess of $400M plus 5% interest for fire loss in semiconductor fabricating facility involving highly technical engineering, chemistry including pyrophoric and other gases used in the manufacturing process, industry safety standards, origin and cause analyses and determinations, and other complex issues.
- Defense of Taiwan company in international arbitration case in New York City.
- Defense in crash of tour bus resulting in multiple deaths and injuries (most cases settled through mediation).
- Commercial, Business, Construction and Employment Litigation and Arbitration
- Defense of asbestos abatement case.
- Obtained replevin of multi-ton equipment and items for construction of large vertical-lift drawbridge for vehicle and railroad traffic from out-of-state vendor in 2-week expedited case in US District Court.
- Defense jury verdict in US District Court against claim of discrimination and wrongful termination.
- Plaintiff jury verdict in CT Complex Litigation Court with damages awarded against business client of $0.00.
- Defense of international corporation accused by municipality of multiple breaches of contract.
- Multiple arbitrations involving corporate clients.
- Intellectual Property/Trade Secret Investigations and Litigation
- Multiple investigations, cases and actions brought on behalf of Fortune 500 corporations for thefts and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Professional and Corporate Officers Liability Defense
- Defense of claims of accounting malpractice in international accounting firm.
- Corporate and Governmental Investigations
- For the City of Torrington, investigation of Chief of Police and prosecute disciplinary proceedings before police review board.
- For the State Bar Examining Committee, investigation of and opposing bar admission of mass-advertising out-of- state attorney.
- For The Judicial Branch: represent Superior Court trial judge before Connecticut Supreme Court on Writ of Error appeal; investigation of New Haven Juvenile Detention Center; and represent employees before the Statewide Grievance Committee.
- For the Connecticut Judges' Association, review murder trial transcript and testify before Connecticut legislative Judiciary Committee on reappointment of a Superior Court Judge.
- For the Division of Criminal Justice: City of Torrington Grand Jury investigation; investigation and prosecution of Windham County High Sheriff and two Special Deputy Sheriffs on corruption and obstruction of justice charges and expert witness on prosecutorial misconduct allegations.
- For the Town of Portland, investigation of illegal altering (forgery) of municipal contracts.
- For a bank, investigation of inappropriate behavior of a sexual nature by a member of management with a subordinate.
- For Indian nations, investigations of and defending against allegations of wrongdoing by Department of the Interior and Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- For various Fortune 500 corporations, investigations of corporate wrongdoing by employees and/or officers.
- For corporation being investigated for violations of environmental laws and regulations.
- Air and Marine Crash cases
- Defense of multiple General Aviation airplane crash cases in and outside of Connecticut.
- Successful prosecution of wrongful death General Aviation case.
- Personal injury in boat accident case.
- White-Collar Criminal Investigations and Defense
- Investigations for corporate clients of embezzlement, thefts and fraud by employees.
- Defense of corporate and governmental employees accused of or witnesses re: alleged criminal wrongdoing.
- Product Liability Defense
- Defense of personal injury claims for allegedly defective product.
- 70% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- J.D. - 1973
- Andrews University, Berrien Springs, Michigan
- M.A. summa cum laude - 1967
- Major: Political Science
- Andrews University, Berrien Springs, Michigan
- B.A. - 1966
- Major: Political Science and History
- Editor, Connecticut Trial Judges Benchbook, 1974
- Editor, Connecticut Sentencing Benchbook, 1974
- Editor, Court of Common Pleas Benchbook, 1974
- "Judicial Education: Coals to Newcastle?" (Co-Author with Dean Francis Cady, UConn Law School), University of Connecticut Law Review, Spring, 1974
- "Protecting Trade Secrets and Other Confidential Information"
- "Government Investigations"
- "The Trojan Horse of Arbitration: Punitives"
Honors and Awards
- Connecticut Super Lawyer®, Commercial and Business Litigation: 2009-2016
- James W. Cooper Fellow, Connecticut Bar Foundation
- Arnold Markle Award, Achievement in Law & Leadership, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hartford County Bar Association, Member and President, 2001 - 2002
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member and Treasurer, 2005 - 2006
- Connecticut Bar Association, House of Delegates, 2002 - 2005
- Connecticut Bar Association, Criminal Justice, Intellectual Property & Business Law Executive Committees
- American Bar Association, Past Member
- International Association of Prosecutors, Past Member
- The Judicial Branch Client Security Fund Committee, Vice-Chair, 1999 - 2004
- Greater Hartford Legal Aid Foundation, Past Director
- City of Hartford, Ethics Committee, 2001 - 2004
- Habitat for Humanity, Past Director
Past Employment Positions
- Connecticut Judicial Branch, Director Judicial Education, 1971 - 1974
- Office of the Chief State's Attorney, Connecticut, Assistant State's Attorney and Chief Trial Attorney, 1974 - 1983