John F. Strother
860-549-1000 Ext. 577 (Main Line)
John F. ("Jack") Strother has broad experience in legal matters involving employee benefit plans. He advises clients ranging from the largest corporations to small businesses on the laws impacting their pension, 401 (k) and stock plans. He deals with the Internal Revenue Service in obtaining approval of tax-qualified plans, represents plan sponsors in IRS and DOL audits and provides counsel on fiduciary matters and employee claims.
Jack has significant experience in some of the more specialized aspects of employee benefits law, including section 125 plans, benefits aspects of force reductions, health benefit and disability claims and the application of federal laws to municipal plans and plans maintained by Native American tribes. Executive deferred and equity-based compensation and the treatment of benefit plans in mergers and acquisitions are other areas or practice.
With a background in tax law, Jack is experienced in the special tax considerations affecting public charities, private foundations and other exempt organizations, including attainment and maintenance of their exempt status and issues pertaining to "unrelated" income. He cooperates on benefit plan issues with attorneys specializing in general employment law, litigation, domestic relations and estate and trust planning.
Jack has authored numerous articles in his fields of practice and has been a frequent speaker to audiences of both fellow attorneys and business managers. A graduate of Princeton and Yale Law School, Jack is admitted to practice in Connecticut and New York and is a past officer of the Connecticut Bar Association Tax Section.
Areas of Practice
- Employee Benefit Plans, ERISA
- Taxation, Exempt Organizations
- New York, 1970
- Connecticut, 1975
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1979
- U.S. Tax Court
- Yale Law School, New Haven, Connecticut
- LL.B - 1967
- Philips Exeter Academy & Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
- B.A. cum laude - 1964
- Major: Woodrow Wilson School of Public Affairs
Honors and Awards
- Princeton Quadrangle Club
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Somali Ministry of Justice, Legal Advisor, 1968 - 1969
- Yale Law School Alumni Association of Fairfield County, Treasurer, 1978 - 1986
- Connecticut Retirement Consultants Association, Director, 1993 - 1995
- Bridgeport Bar Association, Tax Section, Chairman, 1996 - 1997
- Connecticut Bar Association, Tax Section, Treasurer, Executive Committee, 1979 - 1982
- Connecticut Bar Association, Secretary-Treasurer, 1982 - 1985
- American Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Selection Committee, Leverich Scholarship Fund, 1979 - 2006