Rome McGuigan is trusted legal counsel for the development, management and financing of Indian gaming and other tribal and private hotel and hospitality venues. Since assisting with the very first public offering by a Native American tribe in 1995, we have been an industry leader in tribal bond and bank financing and have closed transactions worth billions of dollars.
Rome McGuigan brings innovative, pragmatic and aggressive representation to our Tribal, Gaming and Hospitality clients and winning solutions to their problems, ranging from bond and bank financing to diversification of tribal businesses and legal compliance for established businesses.
We have helped forge the new category of Tribal-Developer, by helping tribal clients diversify and expand through partnerships with other tribes new to gaming. Our Tribal Finance, Gaming & Hospitality Department includes:
Part Of The Legal Team
By collaborating and not competing with the Tribe or Hospitality client's regular counsel, we help ensure seamless and cost-effective representation in complex development and management negotiations and financings. We work closely with the Tribe or Hospitality client's attorneys in:
- Negotiating development agreements
- Acquiring property for gaming and filing trust-land applications
- Structuring management agreements that meet both the NIGC's s approval and the Tribe's long-term goals
- Investigating gaming and other businesses for acquisition, including state regulated greyhound and horse racing facilities
- Hotel construction, licensing, franchising, management and REIT investing
- Convention center and other entertainment venue construction and management
- Retail development and leasing
Typically our response does not end with the closing of a deal. We continue to work closely and efficiently with regular counsel advising clients on:
- Ongoing finance and operations
- Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Employment and labor law guidance
- Retirement plan and wealth management strategies
- Insurance risk and management structures, including workers' compensation and captives
- Management of tribal, state and federal regulatory and criminal investigations
- Litigation/Claim Management
- Wrongful Death
- Serious Personal Injury
- General Negligence
- Misrepresentation of facility based on promotional literature and internet advertisement
- For over 10 Years we have represented a Northeast tribe and its gaming instrumentality in its bond offerings and bank financings for casino development and expansion and in its tax-exempt bond offerings. Bond transactions alone have totaled over $2 billion.
- We have assisted the same tribe with diversification opportunities, including the acquisition of a racetrack and gaming partnerships with tribes in the Midwest and Northwest.
- We represented a tribal client in the Southeast with a successful refinancing of its existing indebtedness through a combination of a bond offering and bank facility totaling approximately $300 million.
- We have represented several of the most successful tribes in Northern and Southern California on bank loans for development, expansion and management buyouts totaling over $500 million.
- We have represented tribes and developers in California, Connecticut. Mississippi, New York, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Iowa and Kansas in connection with due diligence and the development and expansion of gaming facilities and other businesses, including insurance and waste-to-energy plants.
- In 2005 and 2006, working closely again with tribal attorneys and outside counsel, we prepared land-into-trust applications with the Bureau of Indian Affairs and management contract filings and declination requests with the National Indian Gaming Commission
Contact Us · 860.549.1000 · 866.588.6182
To serve your needs we have offices in Hartford, and Stamford, Connecticut. Speak to one of our lawyers today.